Origin of CVFD

Information provided by the Chester Municipal Heritage Society

Horse and Wagon (old firetruck) with sign “pretty well dilapitated
Even in the early days residents were looking for improvements in the fire protection services they received from the Chester Volunteer Fire Department.

In 1935, when Forman and Eva Hawboldt's house on Queen Street caught fire, there was nothing they could do but watch as it burned to the ground. The house burned for two days before it was reduced to ashes.

It took a year, but on May 1, 1936 Forman and others had the Chester Volunteer Fire Department up and running. Members held their meetings on the second floor of Eugene Publicover’s store until a Fire Hall on Central Street was completed later the same year. There were twenty-seven Charter Members; Murray Mills was selected as the Department’s first Chief and Scott Rutherford served as the Deputy Chief.

By laws of the Chester Volunteer Fire Department, formed in 1936 by Forman Hawboldt and others following the loss of his personal home to fire a year earlier because there was no fire fighting equipment available.
This fire truck is the only unit saved in the fire of 1959 and is still used for special occasions by the department.

Ironically, the Fire Hall was destroyed by fire in 1959 and the first truck was also demolished. A new hall was built at the same location the following year.

The 27 charter members dating May 1st, 1936 the date of the organization of the Chester Volunteer Fire Department

Muarry Mills

Scott Rutherford

Murry Baker

Earl Mitchell

Bruce Hawboldt

Allan Morash

Edgar Meisner

Lyttenton Boutilier

George Freda

Robert Morash

Walter Corkum

Earl Webber

Harry Stevens

King Publicover

Cryil Houghton

Ray Publicover

Paul Cornelius

Joseph Heisler

Aubrey Evans

Clayton Evans

Earl Nauss

Chipman Smith

Ivan Smith

Charles Houghton

Theodore Hilchie

Maurice Zinck

Virgil Mader Sr.